Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Beauty, The Beauty, The Beauty

Something that hurts: hearing Muslims insult Islam.

It hurts. Physically. Worse then someone insulting your family.

I know that some people (usually men) have twisted the teachings of Islam, turned it's mercy towards women into chains and insults.

These twistings, they are not in the Qu'ran, nor in the sunnah of our beloved Prophet saw.

We are warned against taking part of a our religion and leaving others, so why allow people to do this? Why not point out to them with patience and manners why they are wrong, instead of condemning Islam wholesale.

Islam is a message for all people, for all times, it belongs to all Muslims.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

I cover. From personal choice. I cover out of religious obligation, not for the pleasure of any man. When I go out, only my hands and face are on show. But, covering is more than just clothes. It is modesty in behaviour too. Still, I walk, I speak, I work, I don't cower. There is no prison for me, just what I choose to show and choose to hide.

I could cover more, wear niqab, leave the house less. I would still be me. My heart would still beat, my mind still active. I would just be choosing a different path.

I don't feel any less of a human for doing this. My humanity is not wrapped in or governed by material. Is yours?

3 comments:

Ali la Loca said...

I love it. "My humanity is not wrapped in or governed by material." 100%, Safiya!

Just as my humanity and my beliefs are not dictated by the way I present myself on the outside. Many people assume to know what I am all about by the way I dress, by the way I carry myself. Certainly the outside layer is just that, a layer. Only those who you allow can know what is inside.

btw, you are tagged over at my blog.

Khadija said...

:) great post sis

Zeynab said...

Beautiful post! I agree: Muslim women should not be humanized or dehumanized by a piece of cloth.

Perhaps these Muslims are criticizing those who warp Islam into sexist or tribal traditions; as a very vocal woman who believes men have twisted the institution of my faith away from me, a lot of people mistake my criticism against these men or institutions as a criticism of Islam, or accuse me of criticizing Islam. Listen to these critiques carefully to make sure you know who they're aimed at.