Monday, June 04, 2007

We are all travelling

Too long, too long, too long. I keep meaning to blog. The words buzz around my head and then chicken out when they reach my finger tips.

Lately, I have been reading about people (on blogs) questioning their faith and their path of Islam.

I want to email these people, to metaphorically lie across the doorway and say "Don't Go" while trying to grab at their ankles. (I know a friend's husband who did this, when she tried to leave in middle of an argument. It did work).

I don't email them, because knowing what someone writes on their blog, is not the same as knowing them. It's their decision.

Why do I care? I care because I believe Islam is the true path. I believe in the Oneness of Allah swt, His Prophets (peace be upon them all), His Books, His Angels, The Last Day and His Predestination.

That does not mean I think you cannot be a good or happy person without these beliefs.

Still, I believe they are the truth and it is one thing to have never believed in them and another to have believed once and then stopped believing.

I love blogging and I find other Muslim blogs especially interesting. However, sometimes it's very easy to fall into the trap of always remembering that you are Muslim without remembering Allah swt.

Muslims are an imperfect people in an imperfect world. But it's not even that we are imperfect, it's that we are so flawed despite having the guidance of the Qu'ran and the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet, Muhammad (may Allah swt shower him with peace and grant him an exalted staion in Paradise).

So, the blogosphere it a great place to gnash your teeth at the folly of the Ummah. But too much negativity is corrosive. We see the badness of our coreligionists until it starts to seem like Islam itself is bad.

Yet Allah swt, Owner of the most beautiful names is perfect, flawless, unchanging. With faith in Him, there is beauty, hope and sirat al mustaqim and it is with remembrance of Him that we can achieve it, insha Allah.

No comments: