Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Meme -If the blogosphere was going to end tomorrow....

This is a Meme Alina tagged me to do. You can read more about it on her site. Basically, it was started by a blogger called Urban Monk, who has promised to donate $1 to charity for every meme.

The basic concept is: if the blogosphere was going to end tomorrow, what would your last blog post be?

Here is mine:

I first became interested in blogs shortly after I converted to Islam. At this time, I would spend hours on the Internet, looking up everything I could about Islam. It's fair to say that the Internet isn't always the best source of information on Islam, but that's for another post.

It was through the comments section on Muslim Wake Up! (Yes, I used to read it), that I found Luckyfatima's blog, reading blogs lead to reading more blogs and that is how I've ended up with the variety of people on my blog roll.

The blogs I read were a refreshing anti dote to Islamic websites which were either scary fundamentalism or hipster progressivism. These bloggers felt like I did, loved Allah swt like I did and just like me, were working towards being better Muslims in their everyday life.

I didn't just read Muslims blogs, but blogs from all faiths (or none). The voices carried in all these blogs made me think about my own voice.

About a year after I started reading blogs, I felt ready to begin my own blog. It's harder then it looks. Ideas that buzz around your head, easily congeal when in the form of words on the screen.
Developing your voice, while avoiding cliches and pretentious language and always remaining sincere. Finding the time and discipline to blog, all these things were goals I was working towards.

And now it must end. I still have things left to say, but I shall look for a new form to say them.
I am grateful for all the people, too many to name who have inspired me with their posts and uplifted me with their comments.

More then this I am pleased to have had the opportunity to speak as a Muslim woman, a section of society so often spoken about, but rarely spoken to. There is endless hand wringing about Muslim integration. I hope that my blog, like many others shows that integration isn't something that others demand we achieve, it is something we are accomplishing in our daily existence. We are not The Other, nor do we wish to be.

Finally, I thank Allah swt for all His blessings and ask Him to forgive any errors I have made in this blog.

La ilaha il Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasool-Allah

May all of you be blessed with good health and strong voices,

Wasalaam,

Safiya Outlines.


I tag everyone who reads this!



7 comments:

Alina said...

Great post, Safiya! I had no idea you have been a blog reader for so long before starting your own blog.

I don't want to be a nag, but can you post a link to the post that started this? Without linking back, Urban Monk won't know he has to put a dollar aside. Thanks again for accepting the tag.

-Tora- said...

nice post sister.

It's true about internet being a strange place for learning about Islam, either you can find the hate websites, or the good websites.

Blogs are a very good way of learning about something, since you get a personal insight.

Safiya said...

Alina - Done!

Tora Salaam, welcome to my blog.

It's true the internet has mixed blessings, but the right blogs can teach you a lot.

luckyfatima said...

that's funny i also started blogging after being heavily addicted to the old MWU...I was searching for the religious but moderate type voices you speak of. It is just so special to me to be able to be connect with women like you and other such bloggers across the globe! This was a great post, and not just cuz you mentioned me :-)

fatima

Jamila said...

Salams, I just found you and added you to my blogroll, hope you don't mind. I like this post and can relate to it a lot myself.

Safiya said...

Luckyfatima - I agree, one of the best things about bloggong is the wonderful people you come into contact with.

One of my fondest memories of the old MWU boards is the massive hissyfit Mona Eltahawy had on there, I haven't been able to take her seriously since. ;)

Jamila - Thank you. Insha Allah I will do the same for you :)

Safiyyah said...

Salaams Sis: Good post! I was sad to discover that Abu Sinan stopped blogging. I really liked his last post. I admire that he sees the need to put family first. Insha Allah Abu Sinan will come back someday.