Saturday, December 09, 2006

Than Thou

Big, big thanks and shukrans for all the lovely comments. Especially considering how sluggish I've been about updating of late. Insha Allah there will be more posts soon, but this blog will not turn all soppy, I promise.

One of the bad things about blogging is the whole "Than Thou"attitude. You know some bloggers who are cooler than thou, smarter than thou and in the case of religious blogs way more pious and knowledgeable than thou. Unfortunately, such types are not content unless they are inflicting their sense of superiority on someone.

I try be honest on this blog. I listen to music, watch films and tv. I'm not yet the Muslim I'd like to be, but insha Allah I will be one day. Anyone who feels it's their religious duty to tell me otherwise, please find something more constructive to do.

The main reason behind this blog is to give an insight into being a convert (and to rant on about random things). I aware that I have to give a good impression about Islam, but at the same time, I want people to realise that Muslims aren't automatons and we aren't all alike either.

A lot is being said about integration into society. Politicians are trying to turn a highly subjective concept into some standard ideal we all have to match up to. How can you actually judge integration anyway?

We all live in a society, and we should all have the individual choice to participate in that society as we wish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Safyia you are absloutley right about people trying to tell you what to do or how you should feel is very common. Do not let them affect you. Say what you feel and be open to yourself. Appreciate advice but do not let it bother you when someone steps on the line and acts like he is better or bossy..
Life is so full of this nonsence unfortunetly

Mystery said...

Couldn't agree more. I know many bloggers with that "than thou" attitude. Anyway, take care and don't mind them :-)

sheryza said...

salams sister this is the first time i am reading your blog. I have to say honesty is a wonderful quality to have and I like that about you. I also like the fact you brought up the fact about not being the best muslimah ...i don't think many of us are to tell you the truth. we try soem of us..but we still fall into those things that are "questionable". with that said take care and i wish you the best.
was salam
sheryza

[a}ma said...

I couldn't agree more. Be who you want to be, what feels right. In my home country, for example, if you do hijab, people expect you to be fully integrated--extra namaaz, completely serious and boring, etc.

Becoming the person you want to be is a process, not a push-the-button thing. And the ideal person is different for everyone.