Friday, December 22, 2006

One less despot


It is wrong to feel happiness at the news of someone's death, but I doubt few will shed tears over this:

Saparmurat Niyazov 1940-2006


As an aside, why do these dictators have such an obsession with spending vast amounts of money building kitsch monstrosities?

Also, Turkmenistan is energy rich so the Americans/Russians are both right now probably assembling a puppet with great haste.

May Allah protect the people of Turkmenistan and improve their situation.

3 comments:

DA said...

I'm always amazed at the horrific statues leaders commision of themselves. If I ruled a country I'd just have them make me look like Dolph Lundgren in all the artwork.

I'm startingt to wonder if there are any world leaders who couldn't be called despots. Still thinking that one out.

Alina said...

Off topic: Happy Holidays! Have fun as much as you can :)

Safiya said...

Thanks Alina and the same to you!

DA - Dolph Lundgren!? You Eighties throwback! ;)