Friday, August 04, 2006

The power of Alhamdulilah

One of the most used words by Muslims is Alhamdulilah, which means All praise to Allah or put even more simply: Thank God.

Alhamdulilah is probably one of the words converts learn first too. It has the advantage of being comparatively easy to pronounce and it can be used in many situations.

There is something very satisfying about saying Alhamdulilah, it's phonetics are soothing, to say it is like exhaling deeply.

As well as a word of praise, it's one of reassurance and remembrance.

Alhamdulilah. Thank You. For all the blessings I remember, for all the blessings I forget and more importantly, I thank You for Your existance, for Your Light and Guidance. Your perfection and permanance beyond my understanding as well as the beauty of Your creation that I can witness and experience.
All praise is due to You. Ameen

7 comments:

Alina said...

I first heard this word in a Brasilian telnovela (some sort of latin american soap opera for those who did not know). Yup, weird! It was about Arabs living part of their time in Brasil. Anyway, I was surprised of how often they used it and I got the impression it is because they did not know so many Arabic words. Later on, reading through blogs, I discovered it it pretty common to use it, and even that often.

Giving the soothing it brings, maybe "Thank God", in any language should be used more often.

AK said...

Thank God for the bad and the good. Beautiful post!

Me said...

Beautiful post Safiya...

"And if you would count Allah's favors, you will not be able to number them; most surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. "
(An-nahl : 18)

I really believe we will never be able to thank God enough

I never thought about alhamdulilah's phonetics before.. maybe because Arabic is my native language... but now that you say it.. they are very soothing indeed !
God bless you for your deep reflections...

PS. I wonder why people take the time to do this !

Ali la Loca said...

Safiya, I just spent a few minutes saying this word to myself. It *is* like a soothing deep breath, even though I am not Muslim. I think there are some words that, when you understand the sentiment at their root, are able to transcend cultural, religious and even linguistic barriers.

"Saudades" is a word like this in Portuguese. It loosely means nostalgia or longing, but it is something greater.

Thanks for sharing this.

doshar said...

Alhamdulilah has so many benifits as well. God was so kind by showing us this simple phrase in the Fatiha to use to thank Him. If left to ourselves to think of a phrase fit to thank God, it would never suffice. Alhamdulillah for "Al hamdulillah".

PS. Al hamdulillah fills your scales. I had heard a lecture about Thanking God, it was very nice,I wanted to put a link here but i found that it is not translated. however...:
"And remember when your lord proclaimed: If you give thanks (by accepting Faith and worshipping none but Allah) I will give you more (of my blessings)..."

Surat Ibrahim. verse 7

roora said...

very true safiya, because my arbic is my native language s owe are used to say it as an automatic answer elhamdAllah, maybe ten times whenever anyone asks me " how are you " lately i started to try to feel it when i answer so as to have the reward at least and not just repeating a sentence that I know by hard.

Asmaa: your profane words show truly where you stand !

Linz said...

'As I raise each day,
Al-Hamdulilah I say' :)