Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Girl on the Train

She is about five or six years old. Very pretty. Then she opens her mouth and I can see most of her teeth have been removed. The teeth left look decayed. She is full of childish exuberance and she can't sit still. Her mother yells and curses at her to sit down and then throws a bag of crisps at her to keep her quiet. The little girl sits and attempts to eat her crisps. It is not easy, as her gums are not strong enough to break them, so she has angle them between her remaining teeth.

I'm trying really hard not to stare. First at the little girl's mouth, then at her mother for speaking to her child in such a foul way and then my eyes go back to the pathetic spectacle of the little girl. Most of the crisps are on the floor as she hasn't been able to chew them properly. I look out of the window and I want to cry. It still shocks me how some people treat their children.

8 comments:

Maxxed`ouT said...

:s

Rain said...

:SSSS
This is so cruel!

Ali la Loca said...

This story reminds me of a little Afrikaans boy and his mother that were on the bus I took from Johannesburg to Maputo a few months ago. The boy was about 8, was hyperactive, and just like the little girl in the train he had the most horrid, gray, broken and rotted out teeth. He ate sugary things the entire bus ride, as candy and sodas were the only tools his mother had to try and keep him in line. And when the sweets failed, she resorted to screaming and yelling.

I felt just the way you described in this post.

LouLou said...

Poor little kid. And that woman well what can I say really?

Rain said...

P.S:
I LOVE this new template...excellent and so full of life.

moonlight said...

love ya site its very colorful n i'm a very colorful person n also want to c u on my site.
love ya

Nora said...

Safiya,
I know - sometimes you feel that these people didn't deserve to be parents:(

Hajar said...

Ya Allah! How sad!